The purpose of this user guide is to give insights into how best to work with me, Michael Lee.
It is a living document, which means, as I learn new things about myself, I’ll be sure to update this document.
An ideal day at work looks like
- Family is happy
- Kids are fed and dropped off at school
- Wife and I are in-sync with the family’s needs for the day
- Got a tall glass of water and
- 15 minutes to organize my day
- I understand the tasks I need to get done without too much ambiguity
- I have 1 MAYBE 2 meetings
- 3-4 hour block to do deep work
- May include a walk to problem solve the issue at hands
- 30 minutes to clear out my day
- Note making in my PKM to organize new bits of information
- I’m able to pick up my kids from school
- I’m able to stop my work at 5PM EST sharp
Things people might misunderstand about me
- I ask questions to get clarity
- One of my core beliefs is that there are no dumb questions
- Usually when I’m asking questions, I’m doing so to get clarity around something
- I do this to make sure I understand a problem or topic so that I can make sure there is no miscommunication and prevent from having other repeat themselves
- I write a lot of information down
- I do this because I barely remember what I had for breakfast
- I would rather refer back to my notes instead of bothering you
- I’m doing it to align on expectations
What gives me energy at work
- Being creative
- Deep work
- Being heard
- Clear communication
- Clear expectations
- Respect for each other’s time
What drains me at work
- Unnecessary distractions
- Meetings without clear agendas
- Context switching
- Being called to a meeting without the need for my expertise or input
Preferred communications channels
- Async first, unless you need me immediately
- Treat Slack as async
- Sometimes communication is just quicker over Zoom
- If you find that we’re churning in a different channel (2-3 emails/comments) please schedule a Zoom call with me
How can someone earn a gold star with me
Share with me how my work is being impactful to the end user or company.
How I like to receive feedback
- If you have feedback for me, don’t make me wait
- Feedback should be given in-person, not in async form
- If it’s an issue between you and I, I want it to be a collaborative effort to course correct
- Let’s be partners
Things I can help with that might be helpful to you
- Sharing about career as an engineer at various organizations
- I’ve worked at an agency, university, multiple startups at various stages
- Personal automation
- Save time by automating repeated tasks using iOS and macOS apps
What motivates me at work
- Life outside of work
My superpower is
- Denerding things
- Speaking with non-technical stakeholders
- Listening to a problem and getting to the why
My achilles heel is
- Too many meetings
- Unclear or unspoken expectations (assumptions)
These are a list of my favorite problems that I’m mulling over.
- How can I be a better husband?
- How can I be a better father?
- What’s the best pizza joint?
- How can I better serve my co-workers?
- How can I up-level others?
One fun fact about me
I’ve met some celebrities randomly throughout my life. Often times by complete accident.
- Brad Bird
- Tyra Banks
- Mario Batalli
- The original Yellow Power Ranger, Trini
- Mr. Belding and Screech from Saved by the Bell
- Fonsworth Bentley